This six ingredient easy to make paleo almond butter chocolate chip cookie recipe is flourless (naturally gluten free), eggless (it’s vegan!), and has no butter or oil, and is refined sugar free, with minimal coconut sugar for those limiting their sugar intake. These cookies are perfect for a healthier dessert or snack!
This recipe was sparked by a discussion with my husband about my dislike of peanut butter cookies. Growing up, there were always peanut butter cookies sitting out in the kitchen. It’s likely that I consumed so many as a kid, that I met my lifetime quota of them! Sorry if that seems egregious, but I am really quite happy never eating another peanut butter cookie again. To me, it’s like peanut butter overload, with extra peanuts. Why don’t they have chocolate? Who knows. My absolute favorite snack is an apple with almond butter, so I decided to try making paleo (flourless, eggless) almond butter cookies with chocolate chips. The result? Absolutely delicious!
Many almond butter cookie recipes I encountered were loaded with sugar. Seriously, a one to one ratio of nut butter to sugar. As a health-conscious individual, that’s wayyyyyy too much sugar for me. So I tried seeing how little I could get away with. Since this recipe is also eggless, it’s completely safe to test the batter before baking. My husband tends to lick the bowl anyway, so I might as well make them so it’s safe for him to do so.
These are the ingredients you will need:
- Almond butter (I used freshly ground, or sub any nut butter, like cashew butter, or even sunflower butter for those with nut allergies that need nut-free cookies).
- Coconut sugar is a non-refined sugar that is derived from the coconut palm tree, lower on the glycemic index than typical processed sugar. According to the Phillipine Department of Agriculture, coconut sugar also retains some nutrients found in the coconut palm, like iron, zinc, calcium, and potassium, making it a healthier choice for sweetener.
- Unsweetened applesauce (we will be adding sweetener in the form of coconut sugar)
- Baking soda
- Vanilla Extract
- Dairy-free Dark Chocolate chips (Enjoy Life mini chips are 8 allergen free, or Kirkland chocolate chips for just dairy free)
That’s it. I had all of these ingredients in the pantry, except I actually used a mixture of both almond butter and cashew butter, because I ate too much almond butter with the apples!
This recipe is super easy. Simply mix all the ingredients together in order, and fold in the chocolate chips. It will start to get a little oily as you mold it into balls with your hands. Bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees and let cool for 15-20 minutes.
Paleo Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
This six ingredient easy to make paleo almond butter chocolate chip cookie recipe is flourless (naturally gluten free), eggless, and has no butter or oil, and is refined sugar free, with minimal coconut sugar for those limiting their sugar intake. These cookies are perfect for a healthier dessert or snack!
- 1 cup almond butter (sub any nut butter or sunflower butter)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 6 tbsp coconut sugar (sub honey for non vegan)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dairy-free dark chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350º. Line 1 cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Combine first 5 ingredients in a medium size bowl and stir to combine.
Fold in chocolate chips.
Use a tablespoon size cookie scoop to scoop out the dough, placing 12 cookies on each sheet (4 rows of 3).
Grease fork. Smoosh dough balls with fork, making tic-tac-toe pattern.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes or until the cookies are set. Remove from oven and allow cookies to completely cool before removing from baking sheet (15-20 minutes).
Reader Feedback: What’s your favorite kind of cookies to make lately?